Thursday, December 21, 2017

Will a blackface costume still cause a stir in 2017? Let's ask Antoine Griezmann.


Antoine, Antoine, Antoine. Let's have a quick look at the calendar. We are on the doorsteps of 2018 and you're out here in a blackface costume like you are a sorority girl in 2014. Should you do a blackface costume ever? No. Not in 2017, not in 2014, not in 1914. Bad idea. Do I appreciate a good 69 joke (nice)? Of course I do but the joke gets thrown in the wash when you pair it with blackface. Are you trying to pay homage to your favorite NBA All-Star from the early 2000's? 


Sure, I agree Ben Wallace was a true underdog story going from undrafted to 5 time All-Star and hard nosed, gritty, workhorse for the dominate early 2000s Pistons, but you can't go full send with the costume like you did. 

We've seen the apology and it came quite quickly. I don't know what he said but he seems sorry. He certainly seems blessed that certain people excuse him. That's what my basic french is telling me any way. 



In the end, we've learned a few things here. Blackface costumes = still very very bad or tres mal pour Antoine. Second, if you want to pay respect to your favorite rebounder in the history of the NBA, do not replicate exactly or else you will end up in an internet bust-up or end up as the key cog to stopping a nuclear war with a rogue dictator:







PS. I really enjoyed the shade that the spanish newspaper AS threw at Antoine in a story about a potential transfer to Barcelona this summer.

 "Hey Jorge, I need a picture for the story about the Griezmann transfer to Barcelona and the Atleti corruption claim to FIFA. You got anything?"

 "Si, fam. I got you."




No comments:

Post a Comment